Monday, July 18, 2022

Oregon State University Volleyball Camp

Jillian attended the Oregon State University Volleyball Camp the past 4 days. She stayed overnight in the dorms, rooming with RAL High School teammates Macy and Lila. The first 3 days were general skills, and the last day she went to the setter specialist group. Here's Jillian's account:

Hello! So on the first day of camp I had to wake up at 5:30 in the morning, which was a struggle! When I got there I said goodbye to Dad and then went up to my dorm room which I roomed with my friends Macey and Lyla, who are a year older than me, but we play volleyball together (Macey's an outside hitter, and Lyla's a setter). Then we went to the first session at the main gym, I was starving the whole session because I thought I was going to get lunch there, but it was earlier in the morning. The first and second sessions were mostly just the basics and fine tuning of passing and setting. The food at the dinning hall was pretty good, they had Italian, fast food, Chinese, and ice cream.
On the second day we worked on hitting, blocking, serving, and defense. Well, we were supposed to work on defense and serving, but instead our coach took us out to play beach volleyball, which was super fun!
.     The third day was mostly just scrimmaging, and mixing with other teams to play and do games and go bowling. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in our dorm, but I can now see why people strongly dislike dorms. The reason I don't like dorms is the bathrooms, if you've ever lived in a dorm, you know. We woke up at about 7 am every morning after staying up till, like, 11 pm every night. Oops.
On the last day I went to the setting specialized group with Lyla while Macey went to hitting. The coach said I was a really good at jumping setting.
On the second night Macey, Lyla, and I went bowling and played air hockey, which was super fun! Overall the camp was super fun and I learned a lot!